EAST HIGHLAND CANAL

Salton Sea, Coachella canal, All American Canal, Highland Cana, etc

EAST HIGHLAND CANAL

Postby gary » Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 pm

ment big steve (ntmama1) friday night outside of bombay by salton sea. we were gonna try fishing a area of the coachilla canal some people had told him about. what a bunch of BS'rs. they are fencing that whole section of canal off now. both sides. couldn't even get to the canal.
so we went to the east highland. let me regress a little.
i left early friday to fish a few small canals while waiting for him to get there. stopped at the true value hardware store in calipatria for goldfish. (brian i told you the wrong name.) fished the little canal outside of town i like and caught 5 channels within 1/2 hr. small though. from 3/4 -2 lbs. threw them all back as our mission was flatheads.
met with steve and decided to to change plans and ended up east of niland on the east highland. by 0100, i'cd had only one run, so we decided to hit the beds. left the poles in the water, but brought them into trucks with us to be safe. around 5:15, my pole goes off. jump out of truck and it stops. so i put it in pole holder and pour cup of luke warm coffee. line goes again and this time i could feel the fish. poles almost double and feels like one i've been waiting for. then, :evil: slack. it threw the hook. as i was rebaiting, steve's goes off and he managed to pull in a channel about 6 lbs. that one is my breakfast tomorrow.
we tried a few more spots, then took him over to canal i caught them on friday. i caught 6 more the same size, and he caught one. we then split up and head our seperate ways home. i decided to stop one more time to fish since i had to pay for out of state license, and managed 2 small bass on crawlers.
now home and tired as heck.
see you all next friday at blythe.
gary
Work Is Fascinating. I Can Watch Someone Do It For Hours.
gary
Elite

Re: EAST HIGHLAND CANAL

Postby bluehunter » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 am

Good going Gary. Quality channels is always good to get into. Sounds like you had a blast out there.
If you're cool, than I'm cool, then were cool.
bluehunter
Site Admin

Postby IvCat » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:25 pm

Theres some good flats in the East highline but with the water is high and they are few and far between... Best spot is where the highline comes off the AA. down a lil ways to the second check where it diverts through a power generation plant and forks back together on the eastside... id try that next time.. best luck for the cochella is if ya know someone who works for the IID who can get u into the gated spots where the big syphons are.. anyways goodluck..
IvCat

Postby gary » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:48 pm

IVcat, the start of the highland is my favorite area. used to fish the start where they converged all the time. kinda hard now since they built it up and can't park out on the point now. (i sleep in the truck) biggest flathead from canals came from less than a mile down river down there. soon as i can get it back up as avator again, will do. a 28 lb'r.
steve just wanted to fish farther north and like i said, people told him a bunch of BS. i've never like the coachilla that much.
gary
Work Is Fascinating. I Can Watch Someone Do It For Hours.
gary
Elite

Postby KATFISH J. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 am

Great job on the cats Gary.....
Character is who you are, when only God is watching......
KATFISH J.
promoter

Postby vineassist » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I fished there a ton in the past! Great fishing on smaller sized fish. I have seen some bigger blues and Flatheads (10 to 20lbs) well inside of the Calapatria part of the canal. I mainly fish the bass out there though. They have both smallmouth and largemouth.
vineassist

Return to Coachella/Imperial Valley area